D3 Patch 1.0.3 will reduce attack speed percentage severely on items
D3DB have datamined patch notes from the new build. Most of them we know, and I have touched on them earlier. Most notably is the decrease in crafting costs in D3 patch 1.0.3. The biggest change is the jeweler, where the lower level dropped gems will see a serious reduction in their crafting cost. This in turn leads to the potential to make some money on the D3 AH by flipping gems.
However, patch 1.0.3 also sees some changes to %IAS, or % increase attack speed. These items have been really popular on the AH and have really been able to make you some serious money. They were almost too good to be true, and it turns out it was!
%IAS items will be halved in effectiveness
The good folks at D3DB have written out the patchnotes they could datamine out. Most notably they found a 50% reduction in the effectiveness of %IAS items! I knew there were nerfs on the horizon for these items, but a 50% reduction is pretty insane. This is what is going to happen (taken from D3DB):
- Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
- Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2%)
- Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (2-3%)
- Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (2-3%)
- Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (3-4%)
- Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (3-4%)
- Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (5%)
- Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (6-7%)
- Haste 9: Old: (18-19%) New: (8-9%)
- Haste 10: Old: (20-25%) New: (10-11%)
- Other Types (Rings, Amulet, Gloves, Legendaries)
- Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
- Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2-3%)
- Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (3-4%)
- Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (3-4%)
- Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (4-5%)
- Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (5-6%)
- Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (6-7%)
- Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (8-9%)
So the %IAS stat is pretty much going to be cut in half. While I don’t think prices will do the same, they will drop as well. It used to be that %IAS was the only stat you should focus on on an item, but now that they are reducing its importance in the overall DPS budget, the money will start to drift towards other DPS items and stats. So you will still be able to sell your %IAS items, you just won’t get the prices you get today.
Act now and sell your %IAS items
Patch 1.0.3 hits late June, so you have a couple of weeks to act. However, a nerf this severe will almost certainly be widely known in the community. So if you are sitting on %IAS items, then start unloading them now! Set very competitive prices and don’t fret about losing 100k on an item…because you stand to lose so much more if you are stuck with them after the patch hits.
As Dave points out below, quivers aren’t going to get hit (yet), so hang on to those if you have them. Since the other items will get hit by the nerf, the quivers should be much more attractive and will probably increase in value.
Blacksmith recipes will be cheaper to craft
Inferno level Blacksmith crafting recipes will also get cheaper:
While it is always nice to see lower costs on crafting, it won’t really make the blacksmith more viable as a way to make money. It’s more of a gamble and you need to invest heavily in recipes and get lucky when crafting them. And when you pay 30k gold plus mats to try your luck, your costs can quickly spiral out of control! Hopefully, he will come in to his when they buff legendaries after patch 1.0.3.