This is how you dupe gold on the D3 AH
With the recent discovery of how to cancel your auctions ahead of time, I really didn’t think more of that. Sure it was nice that you could cancel your auctions ahead of time, but the rabbit hole couldn’t possibly go deeper….except it could. Very deep.
This is how the dupe worked
These last few days, this bug has been running rampant on the AH, prices have skyrocketed and gold has flooded the economy. The real money price of gold has been halved and people have been scammed out of billions of gold. All because of one little dupe.
Here’s how the dupe worked:
- Person A puts an item up for auction with a high, but reasonable bid price and a really high buy out price.
- Person B bids on the item.
- Person A sets back his CPU clock to cancel his auction early.
- Person A receives back the item and the gold that was bid!
- Person B either received back his bid or he doesn’t receive back his bid. There are tales of people having both happening to them. Either way is bad: someone is either scammed or duped gold has entered the economy.
Supposedly this has been hotfixed, but until we hear something official, I wouldn’t use the AH. It is a bit unstable with items not showing up until you log out of the AH, but gold having been withdrawn.
Supposedly the RMAH is also going to launch tomorrow, but I don’t think that will be the case. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but Blizzard have a lot of work to do, before they even have a stable gold money auction house!