With the D3 AH so volatile, sometimes you are better off with farming pure gold
For anyone wondering what happens when you stumble on a treasure goblin and have 300+ goldfind.
Although you are usually much better off running magic find, choosing to run gold find instead can have its upsides. Like when you kill a treasure goblin!
Sadly luck has a large say in selling your magic items on the D3 AH
The Diablo 3 AH is really having some teething issues, so prices are all over the place and only the top 1% of items sell really well. Anything else has a huge variance, depending on whether the right kind of buyer is looking for your exact item. This means you need to be lucky to sell the other 99% of items, and you won’t always get a good price for them.
Until the AH settles down, you could actually be much better off settling for pure goldfarming. You know what you get and you can’t get anything more liquid than pure gold.
And with everyone so focused on magic find and item farming, you can actually find gold find items a bit cheaper. A nice 15-20% magic find helm on the AH costs 700k-1000k gold. A nice 20-25% gold find helmet costs 400-700k gold and you can more easily find bargains and a low bid price here. In my opinion gold find items are a bit undervalued.
With what the new D3 patch looks like, items are going to start dropping more and magic find will lose some of its upside: more and more items will start to flood the AH and the prices will drop.
With gold find, every time you drop a mob its like a guaranteed sale of a tiny, tiny piece of loot on the AH. With magic find you actually have to be lucky to sell your loot on the AH.
Here’s how to spin this to make money on the D3 AH
All the focus is on magic find right now and gold find is undervalued. I believe that will change, so be sure to pick any cheap high level pieces you can get your hands on.
Preferably with a gold find of above 18% and money damage stats alone or with VIT. No crossover stats like DEX and STR. People are going to be using gold find in areas where they are running full offensive builds, so don’t mess around with anything that doesn’t support DPS. Helmets should have a socket to be able to slot an Emerald.
Unless you really know your market, I wouldn’t go any higher than 70k-80k on really good items and 40k-50k on medium items. Really good items have 20+% gold find, sockets for helmets and a high DPS stat and VIT. Medium items have 15-20% gold find and medium DPS stats, maybe with some cross-over stats.
Well, this just started out with me wanting to show a cool picture of a treasure goblin and 500 words later, here we are. Enjoy and get farming, ya lazy bum!