Unlimited boss farming, but not really the best way of farming in D3
I just stumbled on a small bug in the game, where you can reset the latest part of the quest line and continually farm a boss for items and gold. It’s a nice little exploit of the difficulty mechanic and server switches.
Here is what you do:
- I did this right after defeating normal mode, so you probably need to be able to switch difficulties.
- Once you get to a point in the questline, where you have a waypoint and checkpoint close to a boss, you run and defeat the boss and get phat loot.
- Zone back to town or just log out.
- Switch difficulty, pick a quest on the new difficulty and LOG IN.
- Then log back out, switch difficulty back up and log in again. You should have reset your quest.
I used this to farm a bit in the ruins of Old Tristram and the Captain in Adria’s cellar. The nice thing about this is that you also get to complete the quest over and over, so you get XP as well as items. Although it only takes 5 minutes to do that run and you usually get 3-5 blues in that time, I actually find it better farming to just play the game….at this point in the quest line. I am sure, you can use it better at a later point in the game, maybe at a point where you get a huge chunk of XP or at a boss, that drops a recipe or schematic. Like the Betrayer right before Diablo if you are going for the Staff of Herding, if you want to take a trip to Whimsyshire and the new secret cow level.
The Anvil of Fury
In my farming of Old Tristram, I also stumbled on The Anvil of Fury in Griswold’s abandoned shop. It’s a random spawn, that can drop Griswold’s Edge…or junk. Griswold’s edge is no longer a legendary, so it not something I would go out of my way to get my hands on. But it is fun nod to the old series.
D3 Leveling and gold guide later today
Later today I will do a recap of my impressions of the first playthrough, the first 30 levels, what monk build I find the best at farming and leveling, and maybe a bit about what makes money on the auction house. Stay tuned!